My list isn’t too long or too complicated. It’s neither a checklist of manly characteristics like some ladies keep, nor a catalog of pre-requisites before you can date me. When the infatuation wears off, and it becomes a real relationship that takes work to maintain, these are the things that I require:
- When I’ve made you frustrated, mad, irritated or hurt, please tell me. When someone else has made you frustrated, mad, irritated or hurt, please tell me that too.
- Let me know that you still want me, from across the room, without saying a word.
- Tell me that you love me from time to time.
- I don’t need you to be perfect, happy or funny all the time, but I do need to know that you want to be with me, and that you want to be with me in five years. If you don’t, let me go now.
- Hold my hand when I’m sad, sick, or scared.
- Don’t stop telling me about your dreams or talking to me until I fall asleep. I never want to lose the intimacy of being inside your head.
- Let me be the only woman. I’ve been the back-up plan and the mistress and the philanderer’s wife, but never the only woman.
- My feelings are valid and so are yours. Don’t make me feel irrational or crazy for having them.
- You’re going to make me cry, and when you do I’m going to try to run away. Don’t let me.
- Always say goodnight to me.
Do these things for me, and I’ll try my hardest to do the same for you.